The International Ship and Port Facility Security Code (ISPS Code) is a comprehensive set of measures to enhance the security of ships and port facilities, developed in response to the perceived threats to ships and port facilities in the wake of the 9/11 attacks in the United States. The ISPS Code is implemented through chapter XI-2 Special measures to enhance maritime security in the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS), 1974. The Code has two parts, one mandatory and one recommendatory. In essence, the Code takes the approach that ensuring the security of ships and port facilities is a risk management activity and that, to determine what security measures are appropriate, an assessment of the risks must be made in each particular case. The purpose of the Code is to provide a standardized, consistent framework for evaluating risk, enabling Governments to offset changes in threat with changes in vulnerability for ships and port facilities through determination of appropriate security levels and corresponding security measures. Damietta port is committed to enact the resolutions of IMO relating to port state control. The port increased the percentage of inspected ships from 15% to 40 % of the foreign. Vessels calling at the port.The port of damietta was one of the first ports responded to the requirement of the new ISPS code from 1/7/2004 as published on the site of IMO.
The port is devided into 7 port facilities
- 3 independent port facilities: ( U.G.D gas derivatives- Segas company- D.C.H.C company ) .
- 2 other port facilities planned to be included soon : dipeco–E-methanex.
- 4 port facilities belonging to DPA:
- port facility no. 4 include general cargo berths from berth no. 5 to berth no. 8
- port facility no. 5 include berths from 9 to 12 .
- port facility no. 6 include berths from 13 to 16 .
- The river port terminal planned to be included in the future.
- 19 T.V cameras are available to control all port sections.
- AIS system according to the ISPS code requirements.
- Security communication system covering all port facilities 24 hours.
All port facilities security officers are nominated and published on the egyption maritime sector website. port facilities security officers